blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Sunday, December 20, 2015

18th December 2015

This worked well last time I travelled long distance (less than 2 weeks ago!), so I’ll try it again. We are travelling to Vancouver this evening, and tomorrow evening we board the ‘plane for Sydney, to visit George, Sha and little Eddie. During the many hours it takes to get there, I might catch up with some of the blogposts I should have published sooner. I have handwritten notes with me in my carry-on bag.


Good start to this trip, so far, although the No. 97 bus from town to the airport was so crowded that Chris had to stand for most of the way. My grey hair usually gets me a seat. Younger people vacate their seats for me. I sat next to a blind lady with a lovely seeing-eye dog, a poodle called Noland. She was only going as far as Moncton New Brunswick, so the dog was going to be fairly comfortable en route; she says he sits under the seat in front of hers, like the heavier baggage, but if he shivers with the chill from the air vents she covers him with her blanket.

Security clearance was easy and quick and we have just had an excellent supper at D’Arcy McGee’s pub at the eastern end of the departures lounge. Must remember that. We are now about to board Flight AC189.


*****

We reached Vancouver after I'd watched two films, one slow-moving one about a married house renovator falling for his son's schoolteacher, all in French, and a more gripping one about Cold War espionage (Bridge of Spies) in the 1950s. Our seats were uncomfortable and Chris had pains in his leg from a muscle strained in the gym last week. The only turbulence we encountered was while approaching the Rockies west of Calgary where we could see a glow in the sky from the city. It took a long time waiting for our luggage to arrive on the same carousel that was receiving luggage from Montreal, so we missed the shuttle bus and had to stand on the ramp for half an hour before the next one came. Our hotel room at the Accent Inn was fine though, with a soft bed.

No comments: