blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Latin American crooners

I went to a Spanish conversation for which the theme was going to be canciones españolas. I thought it would be about Spanish folksongs or art songs, but it turned out to be about Latin American soul music and the sex appeal of the men who croon on TV!

These songs are known as boleros, because of the dance rhythm to them: musica romantica, said someone. The style originated in Cuba and is muy popular all over South and Central America, especially in Mexico, where the best known idol, Luis Miguel (43), comes from. Unlike most of the others present, I'd never heard of him. As a child he was taught by his father to imitate Elvis Presley.

There's another one they talk about, Enrico Iglesias, son of Julio Iglesias (70) who is also a crooner, akin to Tom Jones (73). Sir Thomas Jones of Wales, I mean.

Anyway, these men do their best to convey a smouldering naughtiness, but when we looked at the lyrics of the songs they're known for, I found the words quite innocent ... and very sentimental.


Solamente una vez/ Amé en la vida / Solamente una vez / Y nada más / Una vez nada más/ En mi huerto/ Brilló la esperanza/ La esperanza que alumbra el camino/ De mi soledad/ Una vez nada más/ Se entrega el alma/ Con la dulce y total/ Renunciación/ Y cuando ese milagro realiza/ El prodigio de amarse/ Hay campanas de fiesta/ Que cantan en el corazón!
I only loved once in my life, and no more, once and no more. In my garden, hope shone, the hope that lit up the path of my loneliness. Once and no more, my soul surrendered with a sweet and total renunciation. And when this miracle happened, the wonder of loving, there were festival bells ringing in my heart.

We looked at two other songs like this, as well: Somos Novios and El Dia Que Me Quieras, which Dawn said was a good example of a subjunctive verb.

No comments: