blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Travel plans

I'm compiling an itinerary again; Chris has another business trip coming up soon. We'll be visiting Britain next month and then flying on to Japan! We haven't set foot in Japan before; this will be exciting. Chris has to give a presentation on Bayesian Belief Networks to Assurance Case Preparation to the SSS (i.e. the Safety Critical Systems Symposium) in Bristol during the first week of our travels and then give a three day training course to some engineers in Tokyo during the second week.

We still have no bookings made—I have to be patient and leave that job to the company's travel agent—but it looks as though some of our accommodation could be quite grandiose: the Marriott Royal hotel in the centre of Bristol and the Royal Park Hotel in the Chuo City district of Tokyo. What I like about this is that both places should be accessible, the Bristol Hotel not far from Temple Meads Railway station and next to the Cathedral, and the Tokyo hotel being beside the Air Terminal (TCAT), a three minute walk from the closest subway station, from which I could reach any of the main attractions in the vast city.

I also intend to see several members of my family again.

The snags are that our flights are going to be uncomfortably long ones and that I haven't had time to learn any of the Japanese language yet.

2 comments:

Mel said...

I can vouch for the Marriot Royal. I stayed there quite a few times when I worked for the British Government. It's very well placed for exploring Clifton and the Waterfront. The in-house dining is good (well, no, very good, really), but I also recommend The Watershed http://www.watershed.co.uk/ for daytime/early evening eating. You might also have the time to catch a performance at St George's http://www.stgeorgesbristol.co.uk/
Gute reise!

Alison Hobbs said...

Thanks, Mel. I'm looking forward to this.