blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Japanese is like German!

I have been looking up useful phrases in Japanese for my week in Tokyo next month. Some of the vocabulary is not as difficult as I anticipated (after my struggles with Mandarin Chinese). Here are some easy-to-remember words in a romanized transcription. It appears they don't always pronounce the "u" in their words:
resutoran

bia gaaden

biiru

menyuu

hoteru (= hotel)

toiretto peepaa (= toilet paper!)

rentakaa (= car hire)

takushii

basu (= bus)

chiketto (= ticket. However, a ticket for the train is "kippu")

kanada

amerika

hotto kouhii (= hot coffee)

baagen (= bargain)

kaado (= card), e.g. kurejitto kaado

faasuto fuudo (= fast food!)

chikin

1 comment:

Mel said...

Impressive. With the appropriate use of "!" and "?" you should be able to get by in Japan solely on your capacity to mis-pronounce English language nouns.