blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Here I am at the airport

Heathrow again, midday, British Summer Time. It is very familiar, but what is special about this occasion is that it's the first time I will ever have completed a round-the-world trip: the last leg will have been today's,
all being well. Ah, the future perfect tense! I could write a poem about that.

Anyhow, last week was a delight, the weather staying fine for the whole of my stay in Wales. I saw parts of the Gower Peninsula and even of the Cardiff area that were new to me and which I hope to share with more of my family and friends before long, Rhossili Bay and Cefn Bryn, the medieval churches, the free ranging ponies and their foals on the hilltops and the wild flowers on the dunes and cliffs. There's also a forest (fforest) walk near Castell Cogh that's full of quirky surprises, as are the bedrooms and bathrooms at the Western House (B & B) in Llangennith and the interior of Cardiff Castle. Yesterday I had a chat to one of my nieces in Cardiff whom I hadn't seen in ten years.

Photos to follow, I promise.

The only trouble is, there are friends to catch up with in Ottawa and a series of concerts to attend; there's our house and garden to see to as well. Never mind. I shall give doubtless be my usual irresponsible self and give priority to the blogging, having been deprived of the opportunity for so long. Eight weeks away from my computer is a long time.

Thanks to George, to Sha and her parents, also to Sally and Rob -- all such good companions in Beijing! - to the staff at the Intercontinental Hotel in Hangzhou, to Andy and the other QNX people we met on our travels, to Emma and Peter and Alexander (baby Thomas being too young to know we're thanking him for his company), thanks to Tini and Phil, David, Debbie, Richard and Sarah, then to Faith, Mel and my mum for giving us such a welcome everywhere we went. So many people to miss. I'm not being sentimental; it is simply a fact.

No comments: