blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

The RFC newsletter and a Caribbean book

I spent an interesting hour this morning interviewing the gentleman who will be featured in Rockcliffe Flying Club's next edition of Crosswinds. I won't anticipate the article here because I haven't written it yet, and in any case the interviewee will have to give his approval before it's published, but there's no harm in mentioning that Terry learned to fly (in RCAF Harvard trainers) in 1955 and has flown innumerable aircraft since, including some home built models as a test pilot. I asked him what made him want to take to the air in the first place and he told me that while he was growing up in Hong Kong he once saw a Spitfire fly overhead. That did it. He has been a loyal member of the RFC since its inception in 1961, fifty years ago this year.

Another publication I've been helping to bring out is the book compiled by Francilia Greaves, Lessons My Mother Taught Me, A Celebration of Caribbean Motherhood, now available in print, thanks to the help of Gilmore Printing Services and a couple of corporate sponsors. It's an anthology of thirty-five essays by people from the Caribbean islands written as a tribute to their mothers. Fran and I worked for months on the layout of this book last year and it's gratifying to see the finished result now: 156 pages. There's a handwritten note of thanks to me on the front page of my copy:
[...] May you reflect on your own fond memories of being 'mothered!'
I didn't design the cover but my husband suggested the use of that picture for it. This is a painting by a Barbadian artist, Trevor Burnett, which hangs on a wall in Francilia's house.

The pilot Terry talked to me about flying to Antigua and to Barbados this morning; he has written about the Caribbean himself.

There's many a link to be found between people and places. Only connect, as is said in E.M. Forster's Howards End. That's what I attempt to do with this blog of mine.

No comments: