blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Saturday, October 30, 2010

A rowdy restaurant

I went to see a loud, crude and funny film at the Bytowne Cinema, in German; it was called Soul Kitchen (2009). When I say loud, I mean ear-splitting. Most of the action takes place at a resto-bar in Hamburg's docklands. It acquires a manic chef who flings the kitchen knives around, as well as disc-jockeys and live rock musicians. When the place becomes popular and crowded the clientele shout for their meals, and when the new chef sprinkles an aphrodisiac spice on the desserts veritable orgies break out. At closing time the staff relax by visiting noisy discos.

Not the sort of film I'd normally expect to appreciate, but the comic touches were so good and the story line so fast-paced that I have to confess I did rather enjoy it. Directed by a German-Turk about a German-Greek and his brother (on parole from gaol). See the trailer here.

No comments: