blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Monday, October 4, 2010

One thing at a time

My mother's staying with me. We're making the most of her visit under the lovely Autumn trees which doesn't leave much time for me to write my blog, and I must be patient. I have a huge backlog of things worth recording.

On last week's rainy day I took her to the Museum of Civilisation in Gatineau where we watched a 3-D Imax show about the Hubble telescope. I know which part of it will stick in my mind. It showed an American astronaut repairing the 'scope in his space suit, which he said was as difficult as doing brain surgery with oven gloves. The only way he could cope with the challenge of unscrewing the defective unit was to assume a Zen approach, he said: only thinking about one screw at a time. If he let his mind dwell on  the whole of the challenge, he'd be lost.

No comments: