blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Waistcoats

Yesterday I met Greta and Cristina at the National Gallery to give them a tour of as many Canadian works of art as we had time for; Cristina (from Germany) hadn't seen any before. Interesting that her curiosity was aroused by the gallery displaying some of Betty Goodwin's "vest" drawings. I don't know much about this very serious minded artist; I gather she died at the end of last year which probably explains the number of her pieces on display. Cristina didn't know of Betty Goodwin but she had heard of the German artist whose archetypal vest (i.e waistcoat) she'd drawn, Joseph Beuys.

The other day I designed and made my own waistcoat, by the way, cut out of a $3 fleece found at Giant Tiger. I've only had the sewing machine a month or two so need the practice (especially now that Chris' Nortel pension is under threat). The garment's wearable so long as no one peers too closely at my clumsy stitching round the hems. It keeps me warm, anyhow.

No comments about coarse actors' costumes now, please!

No comments: