blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Good Kiss!

Sorry to disappoint my readers, but I came up with that subject heading having found out about the Canadian composer Scott Good and his orchestral work being premièred by the NACO tomorrow, The Kiss. I did a Google search for "good kiss," you see, which seemed too good a combination of words to waste. This is what I found on the NAC's website:

...the NAC Orchestra commissioned him to write a new work which will now have its world premiere. Scott Good explains how he was inspired by the sculptures of renowned French artist Auguste Rodin. "The Kiss had a particularly profound impact on me with its sense of proportion and physical sensuality. The bodies are in perfect balance, neither dominating the other. The impression was so strong that I hoped somehow to pay tribute this work. The commission to write a new piece for the National Arts Centre Orchestra provided the appropriate opportunity."

Anyway, I am going to attend the rehearsal tomorrow morning, at which I expect the orchestra will also be working on the other two items on the evening's programme, the Korngold Violin Concerto and Elgar's Enigma Variations. I may not have time to write a blogpost about it, because it's Chris' weekly singing lesson afterwards; then on Thursday night I'm due to fly to London.

Thursday's going to be a big day for Ottawa with a forecast snowfall to deal with on top of President Obama's flying visit, for which the city has been erecting barricades for days. Because of this disruption I fear my own flight may be delayed, but let's hope not. I'm not due to take off until late.

Talking of flights, Chris took to the air quite a lot at the weekend, so that he enjoyed doing a total of 7 landings in lovely clear weather! I went up twice and one of his other flights was with a very keen photographer as passenger, Chuck, who later "stitched" two shots of the Rideau Canal together, making an impressive composite picture that he has posted here, on Flickr.

No comments: