blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

On Petrie Island

Mum and I wonder whether we've correctly identified the plants we saw on Petrie Island yesterday. Fall meadow rue? (Perhaps not.) Spotted touch-me-not?

We had a lovely walk round the island, also spotting a turtle, a dragon fly and a swimming beaver who may have been the one who chopped down the tree in the photo below.

Here are pictures of our outing:




2 comments:

faith said...

OK, that's clearly a challenge!!
I'm right with you on the spotted touch-me-not, Impatiens capensis, also sometimes called jewel-weed, and pollinated by hummingbirds as well as bees and butterflies. Apparently the stem juice is a good thing to rub on if you've accidentally touched poison ivy (a bit like our dock/nettles thing I imagine) and also can be used to treat athlete's foot!
The other one definitely isn't a meadow rue. Those have very distinctive leaves - once seen, never forgotten - which these aren't. How about white snakeroot, Eupatorium rugosum? If so, don't let your cows eat it, as that would make the milk poisonous. (Honestly, I'm not making this up!)
They are all lovely photos, anyway. Glad you are having such a lovely time.

Alison Hobbs said...

Thanks for all that information, Faith!