blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Fields full of water

This afternoon we flew in PTN to the east of Ottawa heading south when we reached the mouth of the South Nation River. I wish I'd brought the camera along because, from the sky south of Plantagenet, our view of the floods was phenomenal! The straight roads between the settlements disappeared into acres of water: run-off from the melting snow and ice pack combined with river water and rain. Motorboats were crossing the fields.

Chris and I have never seen such an extensive flood before but it seems that the local people are quite used to this; they must have deliberately built their farms on slightly higher ground than the surrounding land because we could pick out the farm buildings, still dry, with vehicles parked in their yards, as if on islands in a lake. I suppose they must be used to waiting at home for a week or so in early spring until the water evaporates or seeps away, enough to let them out.

Even more remarkable is that I cannot find any mention of this flood in the local news and all I can find on the Internet is a flood advisory for the South Nation issued last Friday morning by Ontario's Ministry of Natural Resources.

No comments: