blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit

blending an assortment of thoughts and experiences for my friends, relations and kindred spirit
By Alison Hobbs, blending a mixture of thoughts and experiences for friends, relations and kindred spirits.

Monday, February 11, 2008

Passport renewal

I applied for a renewal of my British passport at the High Commission this morning.

"Times have changed," said the security guard. "We're a lot stricter than we used to be."

I was kept waiting outside the locked entrance in a -30° wind until he'd finished frisking the only applicant ahead of me and had let him through the inner barrier. Once I was allowed indoors I had to turn out the tissues in all of my pockets and remove my watch, have my bags examined and turn off my cell 'phone, which was then confiscated until I had left the premises. The guard was wearing thick gloves for protection, telling me that he'd stabbed himself once with an unexpected syringe while searching in a woman's handbag. As I didn't beep when I went under the arch I wasn't frisked, myself, and it only took a couple of minutes to hand over my application form and authorise the Home Office to withdraw $250 from my VISA account.

Within ten business days I can go through the same procedure in order to pick up the new passport; otherwise I'd have had to pay another $15 to have it delivered to me.

I have been recording this at Tim Horton's on Sparks Street where the ghost of some long gone politician on Parliament Hill, or an actor in a top hat for the amusement of Winterlude tourists, is queuing for a coffee and a bagel.

No comments: